The Jaguar C-X17 Sports Crossover Concept is bound to solicit an emotional response from the public as it is revealed at the 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show. This could very well be the upcoming (somewhat rumored) Jaguar XQ SUV. This Jaguar C-X17 Sports Crossover Concept looks pretty close to production ready to my eyes.
You can read about the Jaguar XQ name (here).
“The C-X17 sports crossover represents an exciting new direction for Jaguar. Its purpose is to highlight our all-new aluminum architecture. With this technical foundation, we will dramatically expand Jaguar’s product offering, market potential and customer appeal. This new philosophy will bring technology from our top-of-the-range products into new growing premium segments, and when combined with our new ultra-efficient engines, we will set a global standard. Add to these rational values, the class-leading dynamics, and the beauty and purity of form that Jaguar is renowned for, and we have the formula for a monumental leap forward.”
Adrian Hallmark, Global Brand Director, Jaguar
After Porsche’s undeniable success with the Cayenne, it’s a good bet that Jaguar will aim their sights on conquest buyers, Jaguar fans, Anglophiles and a massive contingent of ritzy soccer-moms/dads too. The Jaguar C-X17 Sports Crossover Concept comes to the batter’s plate with a bevvy of goodies:
• It is lightweight, extremely stiff and incorporates innovative technologies that reflect Jaguar’s commitment to sustainability
• This advanced lightweight architecture will form the basis for a new range of future Jaguars; the first product will be a mid-size premium C/D segment sedan launching beginning in 2015, and in North America in 2016
• This will be the first aluminum unibody product in the segment and is positioned to be the most advanced, efficient and refined sports sedan in its class
• Power will be provided by a range of engines including the new family of high-output, fuel-efficient gasoline and diesel engines to be built at Jaguar Land Rover’s new UK engine manufacturing facility
• These will enable Jaguar to offer a range of vehicles that include models with class-leading performance, including top speeds of over 300km/h (186mph), and emissions lower than 100g of CO2 per km
• It blends the sleek design and sporting performance that are hallmarks of Jaguar, with the crossover benefits of an assured driving position and high levels of flexibility
• The C-X17 also showcases advanced interior technologies including Interactive Surface Console – a multi-screen infotainment network that links passengers with each other and the outside world through social media channels ” – – Jaguar Media
As it is, I see a lot of Jaguar F-Type in the design. I also see a similar look to the Mazda CX-9 in the Jaguar C-X17 Sports Crossover Concept’s profile. There’s nothing wrong with that – mind you; it’s a smooth, sleek shape for an SUV/Crossover.
“We designed the C-X17 from the ground up from a distinct set of principles, a deep sense of what makes a Jaguar: exciting proportions, clean lines, balance of form. Assertive and powerful, yet with a beautiful sensuality about it, the C-X17 is boldly, distinctively Jaguar.”
Ian Callum, Design Director, Jaguar
“At 4,718mm (185.7”) long and 1,649mm (64.9”) tall, its dimensions are clearly that of a crossover, yet in its design it shares strong family traits with Jaguar’s current range. For instance, the grille is an evolution of the distinctive nose of the Jaguar XJ luxury sedan, while the sculptured haunch lines hint strongly of the award-winning design of the Jaguar F-TYPE sports car. A low-sitting stance and overall profile combine with 23-inch alloy wheels to give the C-X17 a sporting, aggressive presence, while the LED headlamps, J-shaped running lights and frosted-glass foglights set into the large front intakes add to the C-X17’s purposeful intent. The C-X17 is painted in a lustrous Cesium Blue finish, with gloss black brightwork surrounding the windows, while the split five-spoke alloys are Dark Atlas Graphite with gloss black finishers.” – – Jaguar Media
Setting the impossibly futuristic-looking interior and adding more reasonable sized wheels, you have a production ready SUV. Mark my words, the next time you see this shape at an auto show, it will be an introduction. Jaguar is fast-tracking the Jaguar C-X17 Sports Crossover Concept into a viable consumer product.
Personally, I can’t wait.
Check out this video of Jaguar’s newest (in production) creation – the Jaguar F-Type!
C-X17 TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Ground clearance 213