The redesigned 2016 MINI Clubman has grown substantially over the previous generation. MINI claims the new Clubman can actually seat five adults comfortably, as it now has three seats in the rear instead of two. Both exterior and interior dimensions have increased and now has nearly 48 cubic feet of cargo space when the rear seats are folded.
From the A-pillar forward, it looks much like a standard MINI. The big change is rearward. The suicide door of the original is gone, making the Clubman a true four-door vehicle.
The interior received a huge makeover and looks much like the current model MINI Cooper hardtop, albeit with bigger and nicer materials.
Powertrains are typical MINI, too. The base model comes with a 1.5-liter TwinPower turbocharged three-cylinder engine, making 136 horsepower and 162 lb-ft of torque. Choice of transmissions could either be a six-speed manual or 6-speed automatic. The base Clubman can go from zero to sixty miles-per-hour in less than 9 seconds.
The Clubman Cooper S packs a 2.0-liter TwinPower turbocharged four-cylinder engine, making 192 horsepower and 206 lb-ft of torque. Zero to sixty performance is accomplished in 7.0 seconds with the manual or 6.9 seconds with the eight-speed automatic.
The 2016 MINI Cooper Clubman is the biggest MINI ever built. It is about the same size as a VW Golf which is still pretty small but has some usable cargo space. In this TFLcar review, Roman and his friend Nik Miles take the 2016 MINI Cooper Clubman for a drive in Georgia.
2016 MINI Clubman Cooper S Specs:
- MSRP: $27,650 + $850 destination and handling fee
- Engine: 2.0L TwinPower Turbo I-4
- Power: 189 bhp @ 5000 rpm
- Torque: 207 lb-ft @ 1250 rpm
- Transmission: 6-speed manual or 8-speed automatic
- Curb weight: 3235 lbs. (manual) | 3300 lbs. (automatic)
- 0 – 60 mph: 7.0 seconds (manual) | 6.9 seconds (automatic)
- Top speed: 142 mph
- Estimated fuel economy (city/hwy/combined mpg): 22/32/26(manual) | 24/34/27 (automatic)
2016 MINI Clubman F54 Specs:
- MSRP: $25,000 + $850 destination and handling fee
- Engine: 1.5L TwinPower Turbo I-3
- Power: 134 bhp @ 4400 rpm
- Torque: 162 lb-ft @ 1250 rpm
- Transmission: 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic
- Curb weight: 3105 lbs (manual) | 3160 lbs (automatic)
- 0 – 60 mph: 8.9 seconds
- Top speed: 127 mph
- Estimated fuel economy (city/hwy/combined mpg): 25/35/28 (manual) | 25/34/28 (automatic)
- Wheelbase: 105.1 inches
- Ground clearance: 5.6 inches
- Cargo volume: 17.5 ftᵌ (rear seats upright)
- Max cargo volume: 47.9 ftᵌ (rear seats folded)