BMW’s M550i xDrive is the M car that’s not a M car
On the mountain roads in rural Oregon, TFL’s Roman Mica discovered that the new M550i has the guts to be a super sports sedan.
Here’s why this 550i deserves an M badge:
- A 4.4-liter twin turbo V8 that pumps out 456 horsepower, 480 lb-ft. torque and is mated to an 8-speed transmission.
- xDrive AWD with a rear-wheel bias to distribute all that juice to all four tires.
- 0-60 mph time of 3.9 seconds (according to BMW) and a governed top speed of 155 mph, although we think 180 mph would be easy to hit with this car.
- Sport-tuned suspension
And here’s why this BMW doesn’t warrant M5 classification
- No additional aerodynamic body work or spoilers.
- No fat tires.
- A comparatively quiet and relaxed ride.
- A less-than-visceral exhaust note that grabs your soul and takes it for a ride.
In short, TFL’s Roman Mica thinks it may be the most under-the-radar speed machine BMW’s put out yet. And those who drive it will know that subdued, luxurious looks can be deceiving.