Fiat sees a golden opportunity to jump into the fast-growing segment with their new 500X, which is a subcompact crossover SUV that has the practicality of a hatchback and more total interior room than the 500L. Consider the crossover’s high driving position and all-weather capability of available all-wheel drive, the Fiat 500X adds up to be a vehicle with a good balance of utility and character.
On the outside, the 500X looks like a larger version of the 500, but without unbalanced stretched look of the 500L. It has an aerodynamic outline and includes lots of cues from the 500 hatchback that make it look cute. Despite its enlarged proportions, the 500X has less rear seat and cargo room than the VW Golf and Mazda3.
Fiat offers two powetrains for the 2016 500X. The smallest is a 1.4-liter 4-cylinder, dubbed “MultiAir Turbo” and is good for 160 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. This engine is available only on the base 500X Pop trim, and its only transmission is a 6-speed manual driving the front wheels. The meat and potatoes engine for the 500X is a 2.4-liter “Tigershark MultiAir2″ 4-cylinder that has a hearty 180 horsepower and 175 pound-feet of torque. This engine is paired to a 9-speed automatic and comes with every trim level of the 500X except the base Pop model with the manual transmission.
Test car in this TFL test car is front-wheel drive with 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and 9-speed automatic. All-wheel drive is available for an additional $1,900. Watch Emme and Nathan test the Fiat 500X, with front-wheel drive and all-season tires, driving up Gold Mine Hill, a challenging off-road section of the Switzerland Trail in Colorado.
2016 Fiat 500X Easy FWD Specs:
- Engine: 2.4L Multiair2 Tigershark in-line 4-cylinder
- Power: 180 hp @ 6,400 rpm
- Torque: 175 lb-ft @ 3,900 rpm
- Transmission: 9-speed automatic
- Drivetrain layout: front-wheel drive (FWD)
- Fuel economy (city/hwy/combined mpg): 22 / 31 / 25 (FWD), 21/30/24 (AWD)
- Ground clearance: 7.0 inches (FWD), 7.9 inches (AWD)
- Curb weight: 3,095 lbs. (automatic, FWD), 3,278 lbs (automatic, AWD), 2,967 lbs. (manual)
- Tires: 215/55R-17 all-season Continental ProContact TX
- Price as tested: $25,300