The Chevrolet Malibu has been redesigned and re-engineered for the 2016 model year. GM really wants to move the Malibu up the competition ladder and has made big improvements in comfort, fuel economy, connectivity, safety and overall refinement. With a clean slate and clear set of goals, major weaknesses of the previous model were tackled. Now the ninth generation Malibu has more rear seat leg room and is nearly 300 pounds lighter than its predecessor.
“Midsize car customers tell us they want great fuel economy and connected technologies, wrapped in a gorgeous exterior. This is exactly what the 2016 Malibu was engineered to do,” said Jesse Ortega, Malibu chief engineer.
2016 Chevrolet Malibu highlights:
- All-new Ecotec 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with fuel saving stop/start technology is standard, estimated by GM to have 160 horsepower
- Available high output Ecotec 2.0-liter turbocharged four cylinder, with GM-estimated 250 horsepower, is paired with a new eight-speed transmission
- With an all-new hybrid powertrain and technology from the Chevrolet Volt, the 2016 Malibu Hybrid achieves a GM-estimated 45 mpg highway, 48 mpg city, and 47 mph combined
- Standard preventive safety technologies include 10 standard air bags, with available features such as Forward Collision Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Lane Keep Assist
- New Chevrolet MyLink with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility
- Available segment-exclusive OnStar 4G LTE in-vehicle connectivity and available wireless phone charging
- Pricing starts at $22,500
The 2016 Chevy Malibu is all new and ready to take on all competitors according to GM. Where the old car was frumpy, the new car is low lean and sexy as Roman Mica recently found out in this TFLcar 2016 Chevy Malibu first drive review.
2016 Chevrolet Malibu specs:
|Model||2016 Chevrolet Malibu L, LS, LT and Premier|
|Body style / drive layout||4-door, 5-passenger, front-engine, front-wheel drive|
|Global vehicle class||midsize sedan|
|Key Competitors||Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Chrysler 200|
|Engines:||Ecotec 1.5L turbo I-4||Ecotec 2.0L turbo I-4||Ecotec 1.8L Hybrid|
|160 @ 5600 rpm (est.)||250 @ 5300 rpm (est.)||122 @ 5000 rpm (est.)|
|184 @ 2000-4000 rpm (est.)||258 @ 1700 (est.)||129 @ 4750 rpm (est.)|
|27 / 37 mpg (city/hwy)||22 / 33 mpg (city/hwy)||48 / 45 mpg (city/hwy)|
|Transmission:||6-speed auto||8-speed auto|
|electric drive unit with 2 integrated electric motors|
|182 / 136|
|277 / 375|