The 2016 MINI Clubman has been fully redesigned and replaces a model that has been around since 2007. It still retains the two barn doors at the rear, but now there are two full rear passenger doors in place of the single opposing hinged door of the first generation Clubman. The 2016 MINI Cooper Clubman makes its debut with 1.5-liter and 2.0-liter engines, and is scheduled to go on sale early 2016.
The new 2016 Clubman is the longest and widest model that MINI has offered, which helps set it apart from the four-door Mini Cooper that remains a more versatile variant of the Cooper hardtop. The second-generation Clubman will be 2.9 inches wider and 10.9 inches longer than the Cooper hardtop due to the longer wheelbase and body.
The new supersized MINI is available in the base Cooper Clubman flavor, which makes use of the 1.5-liter turbocharged three-cylinder engine producing 134 horsepower and 162 lb-ft of torque. The more powerful Cooper S Clubman model receives the 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Mated to a six-speed manual or a new eight-speed Steptronic automatic transmission, the larger engine in the S model is good for 189 horsepower and 207 lb-ft of torque. The smaller engine gives the Clubman a sprint time of 8.9 seconds to 60 mph while the four-pot in the Cooper S will get that time down to 7.0 seconds. Paired with the optional eight-speed automatic, the Cooper S can make that sprint in 6.9 seconds, continuing on to a top speed of 142.
In this TFLcar “Everything You Ever Wanted to Know” video, Roman discovers some interesting facts about the 2016 MINI Clubman.
2016 MINI Clubman Cooper S Specs:
- MSRP: $27,650 + $850 destination and handling fee
- Engine: 2.0L TwinPower Turbo I-4
- Power: 189 bhp @ 5000 rpm
- Torque: 207 lb-ft @ 1250 rpm
- Transmission: 6-speed manual or 8-speed automatic
- Curb weight: 3235 lbs. (manual) | 3300 lbs. (automatic)
- 0 – 60 mph: 7.0 seconds (manual) | 6.9 seconds (automatic)
- Top speed: 142 mph
- Estimated fuel economy (city/hwy/combined mpg): 22/32/26(manual) | 24/34/27 (automatic)
2016 MINI Clubman F54 Specs:
- MSRP: $25,000 + $850 destination and handling fee
- Engine: 1.5L TwinPower Turbo I-3
- Power: 134 bhp @ 4400 rpm
- Torque: 162 lb-ft @ 1250 rpm
- Transmission: 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic
- Curb weight: 3105 lbs (manual) | 3160 lbs (automatic)
- 0 – 60 mph: 8.9 seconds
- Top speed: 127 mph
- Estimated fuel economy (city/hwy/combined mpg): 25/35/28 (manual) | 25/34/28 (automatic)
- Wheelbase: 105.1 inches
- Ground clearance: 5.6 inches
- Cargo volume: 17.5 ftᵌ (rear seats upright)
- Max cargo volume: 47.9 ftᵌ (rear seats folded)