The Chevrolet Cruze is a global model for GM and sold in over 100 countries. All-new for 2016, the second generation Cruze is designed to be more fuel efficient, more aerodynamic, and offer a competitive list of features on par or better than its competition. Stretched three inches longer than the outgoing model, the new model has a nicely upgraded interior and more back seat legroom.
Driving the front wheels is a 1.4-liter turbocharged, direct injection four-cylinder rated at 153 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque . Chevrolet claims that the 2016 Cruze, built on a lighter and stronger global platform, is more than 200 pounds lighter than the first-gen model. Paired with either a 6-speed automatic or 6-speed manual transmission, the global market leader is EPA-estimated to get 40 mpg or better on the highway.
- Key features about the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze
Segment-exclusive standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility via the MyLink radio systems and available 4G LTE with Wi-Fi hotspot
- More standard safety features than any other compact car – including Corolla and Civic – with available adaptive features including Lane Keep Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Park Assist
- Available Teen Driver feature helps support safe driving habits and offers driving statistics for parents
- Standard 1.4L turbo engine with direct injection and Stop/Start technologies, electric power steering and, on Premier models, a Z-link rear suspension
- Interior with midsize-level roominess, including two inches greater rear legroom than Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra
- Available features include a heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, Athens leather-appointed seating surfaces, true French seams and halogen projector-beam headlamps with LED signature lighting.
The Cruze lineup in North America is offered in L, LS, LT and Premier – and a more aggressive RS appearance package, featuring unique front and rear fascias, rocker panels, rear spoiler, fog lamps and – on the Premier model – 18-inch wheels.
|2016 CHEVROLET CRUZE|
|MSRP||$17,495 – $23,995|
|Price as tested||$28,640 (Premier w/options)|
|Engine||1.4L turbocharged DOHC inline 4-cylinder|
|Power (hp)||153 @ 5,600 rpm|
|Torque (lb-ft)||177 @ 2,000 – 4,000 rpm|
|Transmission||6-speed auto or 6-speed manual|
|Drivetrain layout||front engine transaxle / front-wheel-drive|
|Curb weight||2,932 lbs. (LT automatic)|
|EPA-estimated fuel economy (city/hwy mpg)||29/41 (manual), 30/42 (automatic), 30/40 (Premier)|
|Acceleration 0-60 mph||7.7 seconds (mfr claim)|
|Top track speed||not tested|
Expected to go on sale Fall 2016, the Cruze Hatch has the same wheelbase as its sedan counterpart but features a unique roof and rear-end structure that features wraparound taillights and an integrated spoiler. Opening the liftgate gives access to 18.5 cubic feet of cargo space, which extends to 47.2 cubic feet when the rear seats are folded.
The 2017 Cruze Hatch will be offered in LT and Premier trims, and with the RS package.