Will the next-generation Jeep Wrangler JL be a gas/electric hybrid? The answer is yes, according to a leaked owner’s manual and user guide. In fact, the manual says that it will have not one but two gas/electric powertrain options: 2.0L I4 turbo hybrid and a 3.6L V6 hybrid.
Our friends at JL Wrangler Forums got their hands on what appears to be the new Jeep Wrangler JL owner’s manual and user guide. You can read the entire manual using the link on the forum, but here are the most important details.
The new Wrangler appears to have every convenience, luxury, and safety feature that you already expect from a fully-optioned family sedan or pickup truck. It still offers all of the baked-in off-road capability that is synonymous with the Wrangler brand name. The newest Jeep will have same or similar payload and towing capability as before (up to 3,500 lbs of maximum towing).
The 2.0L turbo and 3.6L V6 engine specs state that there is an additional/optional MGU (Motor Generator Unit), and the system requires “battery coolant” (2.5 quarts of coolant is required). How big of a battery will the JL have? Will it offer electric-only driving capability? This is still no clear.
The recently reported 368 horsepower rating for the 2.0L Turbo all of a sudden makes more sense now. This power is likely a combined power rating: gasoline engine + electric motor(s).
There is just one reference to a diesel fuel filter heater in the manual. The turbo-diesel Wrangler will likely come to market after the gas/electric models.
Other Wrangler JL goodies are:
– power folding/sliding roof.
– solid axles with lockers front and rear.
– disconnectable front swaybar.
– 3.6L V6 with a 6-speed manual transmission (recommended fuel is 87 octane).
– 2.0L turbo recommended fuel is 91 octane
– lots of airbags, blind spot monitor, rear cross-traffic alert, and more.
– removable door glass for half-doors
– removable doors
– foldable windshield
– still center console lever to shift 4×4
– removable side-steps
– 4 door to have a 21.5 gallon fuel tank
– backup rearview camera
– four auxiliary / accessory switches
There are many more details to come, but precise horsepower and torque ratings are still not available.