OK, so maybe TFL’s Roman Mica did lose his mind when he climbed into the “entry-level” 2018 Mercedes-Benz G550 G-Wagon out in the Texas Hill Country earlier this month. But can you blame him? The $136,000 uber-SUV contains all the goodies that make Roman’s heart flutter. And he admits it in this video: “Yeah, [the G-Wagon] makes not sense, which is what’s so brilliant about it!” he explains.
Here are the highlights of the Mercedes that made Roman drop all pretenses of journalistic integrity and go fan-boy:
- 1970s’ throwback design
- Twin-turbo V8 with 416 hp, 450 lb-ft. torque
- Three (yes, 3!) locking differentials
- The vault like “clunk” heard when locking the doors (seriously, listen for yourself)
- Mercedes-Benz signature luxury touches
- A mighty off-road heritage
But enough of the highlights, watch for yourself.