- Ford reportedly told dealers to fix affected PowerShift dual-clutch transmissions if a customer complains, according to a July 12 memo.
- The automaker has been facing customer complaints and legal action over defective transmissions that could shudder, jerk or hesitate in certain real-world conditions.
- The offer lasts until Friday, but Ford may extend it.
- This story is developing as of July 19. We may provide updates or post corrections as more information becomes available.
A new internal memo has surfaced, according to an AutoNews report.
Last week, the Detroit Free Press released a report documenting Ford’s issues with its PowerShift dual-clutch transmission. The company originally fitted the new transmission to Focus and Fiesta models earlier in the decade, while allegedly knowing it had serious mechanical problems that prevent its smooth operation. In fact, several customers complained of stalling issues and unintended acceleration, among other defects. Now, Ford has told its U.S. dealers to provide free repairs to any customers who complain about problems with the transmission, according to an Automotive News article published Friday.
In a July 12 internal memo, sent one day after the Free Press report, Ford is now reportedly telling dealerships to “arrange and diagnose the vehicle and repair as necessary.” That means any Ford Focus or Fiesta owner having issues with their PowerShift transmission should be able to have it repaired. It comes as welcome news, seeing as many of these vehicles are now out of their powertrain warranty. The fixes apply to Ford Focus and Fiesta models in the 2011 – 2017 model year range.
According to the AutoNews report, this offer only lasts until Friday, but Ford may well extend it. Dealers were told to expect another update.
Ford has faced previous action on their PowerShift transmissions. Class-action lawsuits filed on behalf of owners covered certain 2011 – 2016 model cars fitted with transmissions they claimed would hesitate, shudder or jerk unexpectedly. Ford responded to the Free Press report Wednesday, saying it came to “conclusions that are not based in fact”.
Now, Ford spokesperson Said Deep made a new statement as reported by AutoNews. “At Ford, we’re committed to taking care of our customers quickly and thoroughly. We have been and will continue to work with our 3,100 dealers to ensure we are doing exactly that.”
While encouraging, Ford still faces a pending lawsuit in Michigan which could prove costly for the automaker. Back in 2017, it settled a class-action lawsuit involving 1.9 million owners in California. At the moment, that deal is under challenge in federal court, with claims that not enough owners would be compensated.
H/T to Automotive News for this information.